Sunday, May 22, 2011

Would You Do Business On LinkedIn With Someone Who Didn't Post A Photo?

I recently came across a LinkedIn discussion asking if you would ever do business with someone with no LinkedIn photo, and why. This is an excellent question that deserves discussion.

One of the commenters mentioned that at first, she thought that because it was a professional network, and not Facebook, that there was no need for people to see what she looked like. Many other profiles on LinkedIn at that time did not have a profile picture, she reasoned.

As the site grew, so did the profiles with pictures. People realized their importance in branding, and she added one because she did not want to be left out. Slowly, she came to see the necessity in the photo.

Whatever your stated purpose is for your LinkedIn account, people need to see who you are. If you are job hunting, you are branding yourself to future employers, and the picture is a huge part of that process. Your prospective employer wants to make sure your tattoos and piercings aren’t showing. They don’t want to hire someone who will show up in biker gear when they need to be wearing a suit. They’re just looking for someone who has put the time and effort into being professional and presentable.

If you are in business for yourself, you are branding yourself to potential customers, and they will want to see what you look like before they solicit your services. They have an investment in making sure that you are both kempt and competent, and a picture goes a long way in establishing that trust.

Me personally? I would never do business with someone that I met on LinkedIn who didn’t have a photo. That’s not being shallow and evaluating looks. That’s being thorough and only using someone who has taken the necessary steps to be professional, on a professional network. I’m a writer, and I see the value in the statement that a picture is worth a thousand words. It shows the full out commitment to your intentions, and that is important.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Matthew, I was one of the members on Linkedin who posted a comment about this subject and I totally agree with this lady about the comparison with Facebook. I thought that since Linkedin was a professional social network, personal pictures would not be necessary but I was wrong! Since I changed my business logo to my personal picture, I must say that I have had more enquiries about my services and products and I've actually made business with a couple of members from this site. As a professional graphic designer I was reluctant to admit that a picture of yourself could be more reliable than your logo and then, I came to the conclusion that even when a logo is the visual representation that will identify and distinguish your business, your actual face is the "emotional" connection with that visual representation and the reassurance of professionalism and integrity. At the end of the day we live in a visual world where the emotional aspect of graphic representations is relevant and part of the mix.

    Mely Cordoba
    DelementDesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, Mely. I think your photo is more effective than a logo for social media profiles.

    ReplyDelete