Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bright Idea: Your Marketing Materials Aren't About You





It’s time to stop talking about your business. That’s right. It’s not all about you. Even on your website. Your marketing materials offer you a chance to have a conversation with your customer. It’s not simply a one-way broadcast anymore.

Your marketing materials provide your customer a chance to realize that they are not alone. More people have the same type of problem that they have, and you offer a solution.

The sooner you can bring your customers to this realization without banging them over the head with a hard sell, the better you’ll be. You really should be more focused on providing the information your customers are looking for, than blatantly telling them what you offer. There is a difference.

Here are some questions to consider before beginning work on any marketing materials. What type of people want to buy what you sell? Who is your ideal customer? How does your product improve their quality of life?

Here’s an example. I’m an avid Starbucks customer. I absolutely love it. But I don’t go just for the coffee. The coffee is good, but it is not what makes me a regular. My wife and I live in a small apartment, and Starbucks gives me a change of scenery to get some work done.

They sell an experience. Their marketing materials go beyond selling a cup of coffee. There are pictures of the inside of their stores. They show the inside of their stores as a soothing and refreshing place to work, socialize, and enjoy their refreshments. The point is that it is about you. What do you need to do when you walk into a Starbucks store?

They also offer the ability to download music, books and various apps when you link up to their WiFi. It’s all part of the experience because they know that their customers want more than just coffee.

My gym sells me more than a monthly membership. They sell me a healthy lifestyle. I work out in a small group environment where there is always an instructor to guide me. I can also ask them any general nutrition questions. They’ll guide me in the right direction as far as diet goes. They work to educate and empower me to become a healthier person.

They are also quick to add that about 80 percent of living a healthy lifestyle is done in the kitchen. They’re honest, and they help me to avoid complete junk food. It’s invaluable experience, not just a half an hour workout. Their social media, website, and internet marketing all reflects this reality.

You can create that experience in your marketing copy. No matter how materialistic our society, when it comes to marketing your business, an idea or concept will sell better than a product. Every time.

A locksmith doesn’t just sell keys. They sell security and safety. A restaurant doesn’t sell sandwiches. They sell a dining experience. A copywriter doesn’t sell words. They sell your business’s success.

What do you sell? Are your customers truly aware of the experience being offered?

No comments:

Post a Comment